The oldest name given to the Kornati Archipelago, according to the ancient author Constantine Porphyrogennetos, was Grebeno. After that, Toreta, and since 1311 until the present day, it was called Incoronata, Corona, Coronata, Kornat.
It was given the status of a national park in 1980 and was placed under protection. The park's total area is 220 km² and it consists of 89 islands, islets and cliffs. Of the park's total area, land makes up only 1/4, while the rest is maritime eco-system.
It is rich in natural and cultural treasures. Vertical cliffs of the "crown" of the Kornati islands face the open seas and is the most popular phenomenon of the park. They also provide a home for rare species.
Kornati's submarine world reveals other amazing stories. And it is worth knowing that the land part of the Park is privately owned (mostly owned by Murter inhabitants).